What is VMware?
VMware is virtualisation software that enables you to run virtual machines on your local device.
Which VMware products can I access?
Once your request has been processed and you have registered to the VMware IT Academy, you can access the following software:
- VMware Fusion 11.x Pro (for Intel-based Macs)
- VMware Fusion 12 Pro
- VMware Fusion 12 Player
- VMware Workstation 15.x Pro
- VMware Workstation 15.x Player
- VMware Workstation 16 Player
- VMware Workstation 16 Pro
- VMware NSX-T
- VMware Tanzu Basics
- VMware vSphere 6.x Enterprise Plus
- VMware vSphere 7.x Enterprise Plus
- VMware vCenter Server 6.x Standard
- VMware vCenter Server 7.x Standard
- VMware vRealize Suite 2019 Enterprise
- VMware vRealize Suite 7.0 Enterprise
- VMware vSAN 6.x Enterprise
Who can request access to this software?
VMWare can be requested by members of staff and students at the University of Leeds for research and teaching/learning only.
How can I request access to VMware products?
Please see the related request to request access (you will need to be logged into https://it.leeds.ac.uk/it to see this form).
How can I download the VMware products?
Once you have requested and been approved to access the products, you will be invited to a portal where you can create an account and download the products.
For specific instruction on how to access, install and licence the software once you have been added into the portal, please see the related attachments.
I have been invited to the VMware portal, what should I do next?
To access the software and installation keys, please follow the steps below:
- Follow the initial invitation to register an account with VMWare. The email for this will look similar to the following:
- Once you have created an account and validated your email, you can login to the portal here: Login - VMware IT Academy
- Once logged in, you should see a dashboard like this:
- Select 'Software Products & Licence Keys'.
- Under Step 1, visit the Software Licences Repository to request the licence key for the software that you wish to use (this may take up to 12 hours to arrive in your email Inbox).
- Once you have followed the instructions on the website and received the licence key to your email address, go back to the 'Software Products & Licence Keys' page and click the links on the right hand side for the software you wish to download.
- Once you click the link for the software you require, scroll down to find the download link.
Further information and support:
For further information regarding the licence and how you can use the software, please see: VMware Academic Software Licensing Overview.
Important: Software cannot be used for infrastructure (Production) purposes. Licenses acquired through the VMware Academic Software Licensing Program are for instructional, research and personal use only.
(Please note: The University is not responsible for the content of external websites.)