This guide explains how staff and students can change their University password. Please make sure you read all the steps before attempting to change your password.
Before you start
1. If you haven't already done so, register for Self-service Password Reset (this will help you if your account is locked out or you forget your password).
2. Log off ALL University systems (eg Minerva, Skype, OneNote, Teams, Outlook, Office 365 email, UniLeeds app) on all your devices (eg smartphone, tablet, laptop, smartwatch).
3. If you are using a University PC connected to the University wired network 'forget' the eduroam network on all your devices.
4. If you are changing your password over eduroam, 'forget' the eduroam network on all your other devices.
5. If you are changing your password over another wireless network such as your home wireless, 'forget' the eduroam network on all your devices where possible.
- For mobile devices you will only need to do this if when you are in range of eduroam (normally if you are on or near campus or another). If you are not on campus you should still 'forget' eduroam on your devices next time you are on campus.
- For Windows 10 you can 'forget' the eduroam network even if you are away from campus.
6. Remove any saved passwords for University systems on your University computer in web browsers and apps (email, Outlook, Office apps, Teams, OneDrive, OneNote) on ALL your devices.
For security reasons you should not save your passwords in web browsers.
You MUST complete these steps before attempting to change your password, otherwise your devices could automatically try to connect with your old password and lock you out.
Changing your password
For most people, if you have access to a web browser:
- Ensure you have followed the instructions in the "Before your start" section above
- Using your computer or any device with a browser, go to https://changemypassword.leeds.ac.uk
- Enter your username followed by @leeds.ac.uk
- In the Old password field, enter your current password
- In the New password field, enter your new password
- In the Confirm new password field, re-enter your new password
- Click Submit to change your password
Changing your password on a University owned Mac
Please follow these instructions
Changing your password in Linux
- Open a terminal
- Type passwd
- Follow the prompts on screen.
After you have successfully changed your password
After you have changed or reset your password:
- If you are logged in to a University PC or laptop connected to the University wired network, log out and back in again using your new password.
- Update your applications on all your devices to use the new password if prompted when logging in eg Teams, Outlook, OneDrive, OneNote, etc
- If you are in range of the eduroam network, reconnect your devices to use eduroam
1. I've changed my password and now I can't log into office365.leeds.ac.uk, Minerva or another University website.
Your account may be locked. Unlock your account.
2. I've changed my password and now I can't log in to my University laptop.
If you are not connected to the University wired network your new password may not have synchronised yet - try your old password. Once logged in, to update your device to use your new password:
- Connect to the VPN
- Stay connected to the VPN for about 30 minutes to allow your laptop to synchronise with our server
- Press Ctrl+Alt+Del keys together and select Lock to lock the screen
- Unlock the screen by entering your new password
- After entering your new password, you may see this message:
- Enter your old password and click OK. The alert may appear for a few days as the Safeguard server is temporarily offline, but should eventually disappear.
- If it does not accept your old password, click cancel and you should still log on successfully.
- If you are returned to the log on screen, login with your new password again, but this time click cancel when prompted.
3. I can't access changemypassword.leeds.ac.uk
If you are on campus, use a University Windows PC or University encrypted laptop connected to the wired network (staff) or a cluster PC (students or staff):
- Log on with your University username if you haven't already done so.
- If prompted, reset your password
- If you do not receive a prompt, press Ctrl+Alt+Del keys together
- Choose Change a password...
- Enter your Old password
- Enter your a new password as indicated, and then type the new password again to confirm it
- Click the arrow (next to the Confirm password box) to change your password
- Follow the instructions in the section "After you have successfully changed your password" below