SAP Account Management System (SAM) - Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently asked questions about getting SAP access and logging on to SAP

What do I do if I don’t have a University username or payroll number?

Agency staff or those without a payroll number or University username should speak to their local HR team before applying for an SAP account.

Can my manager or I request roles before I have started?

An applicant will only be available for selection when they have a valid SAP position. This usually corresponds to the employee’s start date. This is in accordance with the requirement that the applicant agrees and signs up to the University's 'Use of Computer Systems Policy'.

What is my password?.

If you are a new user, your password will be emailed to you directly. If you require a new password please contact IT, you will be prompted to change your password every 40 days.

What if I know my password but have locked my user (you will be locked out after 6 incorrect attempts)?

 You should contact your local approver, who can unlock your account.

My approver is on leave. What happens to my application?

If you submit your request to an SAP Approver and they are on leave it is possible for other approvers to process your request.

Speak to your manager about who the replacement is likely to be or use the information pages in SAM that gives details about roles and their associated approver. Please give the new approver a call or send an email regarding your request, including your personnel number. The approver will not have your request in their inbox but they will be able to enter your personnel number in to their maintenance screen and process your request as normal.

If you attempt to request a role for a second or subsequent time, then you will receive an error message similar to the one below.

What if I can’t find an approver in my area (School, Service, or Faculty)?

You can select a central approver who will be identified by University of Leeds rather than a Department or Faculty. The approvers are determined by Deans and Heads of Service, if you cannot find an appropriate approver please contact your Department or Service who will arrange the additional cover.

How do I request access to a single transaction (work screen or report)?

Access to SAP is based on the assignment of roles to users, therefore it is not possible to assign individual transactions to users. If a user requires a particular transaction they should discuss this access with their manager or SAP Approver, who may be able to provide advice on the most appropriate SAP role to apply for.

Why have I received a ‘conflicting roles’ error message?

Your request may be refused automatically because of a requirement to maintain segregation of duties. Segregation of duties is the concept of having more than one person required to complete a task, as an internal control intended to prevent fraud and error. Further information around financial regulations can be found at (see General Principles) If this stops you completing any aspect of your role, please discuss this with your line manager and escalate to the appropriate central role approver if necessary.

Where can I get help?

Further support is available through training guides for users and approvers which can be found in the SAP training area of the intranet.

Managers and Approvers can…

• assist with queries about the process such as how to raise a request, which role might be suitable or what SAP training may be appropriate.

• check on the status of an application

• unlock your account (in most cases)

• request a role in SAP

What if I’m still having difficulties? Where can I get more help?

If your manager or approver cannot assist please contact IT at