This page provides guidance for IT staff in the support of personally owned devices being used to access University services.
In the IT industry the phrase Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) is commonly used when referring to those using their own devices such as laptops, mobile phones and tablets
All IT staff and IT service users.
Bring Your Own Device Support Guidelines
IT aims to support the work of staff and students by providing systems that allow secure access to University services using personally owned devices. We aim to provide support for our services on multiple operating systems; this includes Windows (Vista and above), Mac OS X, Linux, Android and iOS.
- However please be aware that not every device will:
- Be compatible e.g. some applications will only work well in particular browsers
- Meet the minimum system requirements for particular systems and software e.g. a Kindle is unable to connect to the eduroam due to technical limitations of the device itself
IT provides support for the following services on laptops, smartphones and tablets:
- Connection to Desktop Anywhere
- Connection to the eduroam Network
- Connection to the Residence Network
- Connection to the Virtual Private Network (VPN)
- Configuration of email clients to access University Email
- Connection to University Network Drives
- Connection to MyPrint Mobile
Please note that the following terms apply to all support requests:
- IT support staff will respond to support requests by phone, email or in person (e.g. at the IT Service Desk).
- Visits to your place of work or to student accommodation will be arranged only as necessary and at the discretion of support staff.
- All Remote Support (i.e. for users not present at the IT Service Desk) will be provided in line with the University Policy for Remote Support.
- Support for personally owned devices will not normally exceed 15 minutes . After this time, we may advise you to use an external third-party service.
- Support is not provided for off-campus Internet connections . Requests for support should be raised with the relevant Internet service provider.
- We cannot provide support for personally owned peripheral equipment such as printers, monitors, external hard drives etc. If you have a support request relating to non University owned peripheral equiment you are advised to contact the retailer or manufacturer.
- We cannot provide support for department specific software (either local installation or use of the software). Queries concerning department specific software should be directed to your local IT support.
- We are not responsible for data loss you are advised to ensure that all your work is backed up.
- We will endeavour to resolve your issue, in line with our guidelines, but cannot guarantee that all issues will be resolved.
- You are advised to follow policies and procedures on encryption, using the cloud, keeping your data safe when travelling, viruses and other guides available here information security.
- You are advised to take reasonable steps to protect your devices against viruses, malware and data loss.
The IT Service Desk
The IT Service Desk will provide staff, students and visitors with a friendly, helpful and customer focused point of contact for IT queries, communication and information. They will:
- respond to users in an effective and timely manner in line with the IT Service Desk KPIs
- provide effective first line investigation, initial diagnosis and call filtering and routing for queries and incidents that cannot be resolved at first point of contact
- proactively record, monitor and manage IT incidents and service requests in line with agreed processes
- update users of incident and service request progress and notify them of impending changes or agreed outages
- provide information for management reporting
- manage all major IT Incidents in line with agree processes and procedures
The IT Service Desk is open Monday to Friday 08:00 to 21:00 and Saturday & Sunday 12:00 t0 17:00 during term time. During the summer vacation the IT Service Desk is open from 08:00 to 17:00 Monday to Friday.